Last week, I was nominated for a Liebster Award by my sister(in-law), Brittany at the Nested Nomad. Thank you, Brittany, for the nomination! The Liebster Award is an award for bloggers who have less than 200 followers and are working on developing their readership. This is kind of a “pay it forward” award, so I will also be nominating some new bloggers to share the love with.
One of the rules of receiving a Liebster award is that you have to answer 11 questions about yourself. So, here we go!
1. How did you decide on the title of your blog, and what’s it about?
I decided on Grace Mountain Diaries because I love grace. It is my one little word for the year and a word I just keep coming back to. Mountain because life is like a mountain trail, or at least mine is. Some days it’s beautiful and an easy climb, and others it’s a treacherous journey, you can’t find the trail. But in both cases, the journey is best with others, in community. Mountain, also, because with a family of 6, everything I do is a mountain – laundry, cooking… So here I am. Grace Mountain Diaries. It is all about life, my faith, my journey. And I hope it inspires you, encourages you in whatever you are facing. Reminding you that you are not alone and that God is near.
2. Where does your blogging inspiration come from?
Honestly, my blogging inspiration comes from my quiet time. Each morning I sit down with my Bible and journal (and if there is time, whatever non-fiction favorite book I am currently reading). I am currently reading the Psalms, and read, 1 chapter or a few, until I feel God speaking to my heart. I journal about what I read, what I am thankful for each day, and what I am thinking/feeling. And from there, usually something is heavy on my heart. So I write. I write from my heart, without a calendar, without an agenda. I just write. Some days I don’t have very much to share, but something is still stirring within me, waiting to be written – so I may share it on Instagram, or I journal it so it can be expounded on in the blog later.
3. Can you give 11 random facts about yourself?
- I have four children. Boy, Girl, Boy, Boy. I was convinced I would have two boys and two girls: boy, girl, boy, girl; and was in disbelief/shock when we found out our fourth (and last) was a boy. I love the way God planned our family and wouldn’t change it for anything. Although, when I was pregnant, I may not have felt completely the same – and if you saw the boxes of basically brand new baby girl clothes I had, you would probably have felt the same way!
- I taught myself to crochet. I was in college and had trouble sleeping, so one day I went out, bought a learn to crochet book and taught myself. Now I love to crochet anything and (almost) everything and love seeing it around my home!
- I love desserts. Like really love them. I have gotten better and do not always have a pie on hand, but there are still days when I cave and just have to buy a pie. That I then eat…by myself.
- I get into food ruts. I will eat the same food for breakfast or snack for months on end. Until I can no longer eat it. It drives my husband crazy. I cycle in and out of these food ruts every few years. I am currently ending an oatmeal with bananas breakfast food rut.
- I got married to my high school sweetheart, the semester before we graduated from college. We have been married for 10 years and together for 14 years.
- I love memorizing Bible verses with my man-child. He is in Awanas and is amazing at memorizing. So we challenge each other and both end up with about 4 new verses each week. The difference is I’m 32 and he’s 7.
- My baby boy wears pajamas most days. For the entire day. I hate doing laundry, so this saves me on washing tons of outfits (he’s currently a drooling, messy toddler). It also saves me from having to get one more person ready when the morning rush of getting 3 kids ready for and to school is happening. And I don’t have to put shoes on him when we do the morning drop offs/pick ups. Win – Win really.
- I am the worst at taking pictures and videos. My husband is constantly making fun of my tilted pictures, fuzzy images and wobbly videos. I love Instagram for this very reason.
- One of my 2015 goals was to start drinking coffee. I drank coffee sporadically at Starbucks or out with friends. Really, I was a social coffee drinker. But now that I am not pregnant or breastfeeding – ever again – but still exhausted, I decided I needed a small caffeine push in the morning. And I am better for it.
- I am 100% Greek. And proud of it. I will get to visit Greece for the first time this summer, due to the graciousness of my husband. I will be able to see Greece, where my Yia-Yia grew up and she will be the one to show me it all. I am still in shock that my husband is figuring out a way for me to take this trip.
- I love the western USA. The east is amazing too, don’t get me wrong. But after my husband and I got married, he took me out west – for the first time in my life. And we camped and drove from one national park to another for 2 weeks. It was amazing. We did this twice and those are the best vacations we have ever taken. I cannot wait to take our children west. To see the beauty again. The pictures at the bottom of (most posts, not all) each blog post is a picture from our adventures. Blogging has been an amazing way to not only share my thoughts, my journey, but also, to remind myself of the adventures in my journey so far.
4. What is something you’ve been loving lately?
I am loving reading again. I have always loved to read, but with 4 littles, it got hard to find time to sit in quiet. So I read only sporadically. Now, with 3 kids in school most mornings, I have some built in quiet time (or relatively, since I only have 1 little around!), and am loving getting back into reading. Currently I am reading non-fiction books (check out my Goodreads to see what I am currently reading) during my quiet time and a fiction book with Man-Child.
5. What is it you love most about blogging?
I love getting to share my heart, what I am feeling, thinking, learning. Where I am struggling. And the vulnerability and honesty I can share it all with. I love the freedom of blogging as well!
6. If you had 3 wishes, what would they be?
I would love to be a fly on the wall of my man-child’s class room. But maybe not a fly. Maybe being invisible would be better.
I would love to have a beautiful garden already set up. And ideally that didn’t need to be taken care of. That would just flourish. Or maybe I should just wish for a green thumb. Either way.
I would love a horse. Not in my backyard, or anything. But I would love to horseback ride and have my kids have that opportunity.
7. What is one country in the world you would like to visit? Why?
I would love to visit Greece, and will get to this summer! It is where my grandparents grew up and has so much history. This is the top country I would like to visit and cannot wait for July
8. What are you currently watching or reading?
I just finished watching (again x 20?) Gilmore Girls. I like Grey’s Anatomy, New Girl, and a multitude of shows that my husband enjoys (and I kind of get into). I am currently reading One Thousand Gifts, Treasuring Christ When Your Hands are Full, and A Horse and His Boy.
9. A long-lost relative leaves you a large sum of money. What do you do with it?
We would donate a lot of it, save some of it, travel a little more, pay off some loans, and put more down toward our mortgage. We would also upgrade some home mechanicals and finish our basement. I would also love to upgrade my husband’s car (bigger and newer than his current 2004 Corolla), but he’s too practical (really, he’s an auditor) to actually do that, no matter the amount of money.
10. What is something you do when you need to take time for yourself?
If I cannot get out but need some time down, I sit on the couch, watch TV and crochet. If I can get out I usually meet up with a friend. I love living in community, and when I need time for myself I find that a lot of those times, I need to be around a close friend, I need another adult to talk to. My husband is great about this. He knows that I need my community to thrive, so he (when not in busy season) makes sure to get home early enough from work a few nights a month so that I can have this time.
11. Where do you see yourself in five years time?
Five years kind of freaks me out. I will be nearing 40 (eek!) and my littles will be less little. I will have a 6, 8, 10, and 12 year old. My heart breaks a little over not having any in the baby years, but it is also excited for all that the older years have to offer! We will be able to travel more and easier. We will be able to go west on vacations and camp. I will have more time for crocheting and hope to be more involved in craft fairs or selling in a storefront.
Lori of The Boutelle Family
Meghan of A Bushel of Kids
Paige of Tomateoes for Cucumbers
Julie of My Mundane and Miraculous Life
Elizabeth of Made Sacred
Amy of Girl Set Free
Kristin of The Peculiar Treasure
Katie of Hot Tea and the Empty Seat
Joana of Faint Not Mom
Please take a few minutes to check out these blogs! I love them, and I’m sure you will too!
INSTRUCTIONS FOR NOMINEES
Answer the eleven questions given to you by the person that nominated you (see below). Please comment on this post with your link when you are done so I can see your answers!
In your post, link back to the person/blog who nominated you and give a little thank you shout out.
After completing the questions, nominate bloggers with under 200 followers on the social media platform of your choice (I used Bloglovin’), and give them eleven questions of your choice.
Notify your nominees of their nomination, and provide a link to your post so that they know what to do.
HERE ARE YOUR QUESTIONS
- How did you decide on the title of your blog, and what is it about?
- Where does your blogging inspiration come from?
- Can you give 11 random facts about yourself?
- What was your biggest accomplishment of 2014?
- What is it you love most about blogging?
- If you had 3 wishes, what would they be?
- What is one country in the world you would like to visit? Why?
- What are you currently watching or reading?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- What is something you do when you need to take time for yourself?
- Where do you see yourself in five years time?
That’s it! Thanks for joining me today!